PLEASE NOTE ALL GLANWORTH GUITAR LESSONS STUDENTS GET AN EXCLUSIVE €5 OFF THEIR GUITAR PURCHASES IN TOM BAYLORS MUSIC CENTRE FERMOY. VOUCHERS AVAILABLE ON SIGN UP.
There are Acoustic, Electric and Classical guitars which one should I buy?
Ok to make this really simple, If your a first time buyer for a child then I highly recommend buying a Nylon String or Classical guitar. See picture below.
There are lots of advantages to buying a Nylon String or Classical guitar.
- They’re cheaper to buy than other types of guitar.
- You can still play any type of music on them.
- The spaces between the strings are wider so chords are that much easier to play.
- The strings aren’t as painful to push down on. BIG!! factor for absolute beginners.
- Guitar shops usually only stock classical guitars in smaller sizes. Steel string guitars are usually only available in full size.
- The body of nylon string guitars are usually smaller so they are easier to hold.
What Size Guitar Should I Get?
This all depends on the age/size of the student. Below you’ll see a rough guide.
Quarter ¼ Size Guitars
Player Height – 80cm to 120cm
Age – 3 to 5
Half ½ Size Guitars
Player Height – 110cm to 140cm
Age – 5 to 8
Three-quarter ¾ Size Guitars
Player Height – 130cm to 150cm
Age – 8 to 12
Full 4/4 Size Guitars
Player Height – 150cm +
Age – 12+
In this video on you tube we see a good example of a child trying out the different sized guitars in a local guitar shop. I highly recommend following this example when buying in your own local shop.
For more information about buying a guitar, please feel free to get in touch via the contact buttons below.
Click here to return to the ‘frequently asked questions’ page.